Whether you run a business, a public sector organisation, a not for profit or just run, then you are probably acutely aware of the ever increasing pace of change in the world in which we live and the challenge of adapting to thrive.
My mission is to help you learn and create new perspectives. To encourage and challenge you. To give you belief.
A bit about me: As an international athlete I was always curious about how the best trained so for a year I lived in east africa to learn from the top Kenyan distance runners. During my running career, which included a marathon best of 2hrs 18min, I was also lucky enough to spend time with some of the most experienced and generous coaches in sport.
After a career at Unilever doing work such as launching Vaseline Lip Therapy, pioneering early internet marketing and graduate recruitment & development I came to understand that the practices underpinning sustainable high performance apply whether you are trying to qualify for the Olympics, grow a small business or transform your organisation. Since 2005 I have focused my energy on bringing these performance practices to a wide range of organisations through team coaching and resilience and personal leadership workshops. I have also taught on the University of Bath MBA and run coach development events for England Athletics.
Running remains my passion and I get immense satisfaction from inspiring and supporting runners of all abilities to run faster or further, or both! My Masterclasses ‘Run like a Kenyan’ and ‘Marathon Magic’ are great fun, while teaching complete beginners to run 5km has provided me with some incredibly rewarding moments. For my own inspiration and wellbeing I spend more time on the bike and cross-country skis these days which enables me to fully enjoy the trails in Switzerland, where I live with Karin.
What you won't find on my CV: as an 11 year old in 1984 we went on a family camping holiday - behind the Iron Curtain to Hungary, which was eye opening!; as a teenage competitor on ITV's quiz show, Blockbusters, I got to ask 'can I have a P please Bob'; secretly I would like to run a pop-up restaurant for a night; recovering from a life threatening illness in 2014 was the hardest thing I have done.
A few of my most memorable races
- 2012 World Championships Long Distance Mountain Running (Team England), Jungfrau Marathon.
- 2012 Gloucester 50km. Gold, course record
- 2011 Glarner Stadtlauf. 1st Place
- 2009 Crewkerne 9 miles. 1st place, course record (A very hilly course and the previous record stood from the 1980's)
- 2008 Swiss Alpine K21, Davos. 1st place, course record
- 2008 British Olympic Trials 10,000m. 29:47.77 (personal best)
- 2007 Zürcher Silvesterlauf 8.2km. 1st place
- 2007 International Marathon Team Challenge (Team GB), Toronto. Gold (Team), 2:18.47 (personal best)
- 2006 England 10km Road Running Championships. Gold (Team)
- 2001 Great Ethiopian Run. (Ethiopia's first mass participation sporting event)
- 1997 South of England 10,000m Championships. Gold
- 1994 British Universities Cross Country Championships. 6th place (my breakthrough race)
- 1981 School cross country race, somewhere in Somerset. 2nd place (my first race and the realisation that there were sports where being small was an advantage!)